Area of Expertise:
Angelica is a Research Scientist at IOS. Her research interests include studying the dynamics of planktonic ecosystems and their role in the cycles of carbon, oxygen and other biogeochemical elements. Her research activities use several approaches including field observations, laboratory analysis and development of coupled biophysical models to study the dynamic relationships that exist between the plankton and its environment. Some of her past/current research activities include:
- Development of a coupled circulation / plankton ecosystem model for Strait of Georgia – this involved seasonal (4 times a year) monitoring of nutrients and phytoplankton abundance (chlorophyll concentration and phytoplankton pigment composition) at several stations along the Juan de Fuca and Georgia Straits. Unfortunately, due to a lack of funding the phytoplankton monitoring program has currently been discontinued as of 2012.
- Analysis of seasonal/interannual variability of phytoplankton composition in the Northeast Pacific using pigment analysis
- Study of potential impacts and benefits of ocean fertilization activities
- Development of a BC shelf coupled physical-biogeochemical model that include the oxygen cycle
- As part of the Salish Sea Marine Survival Project, Dr. Pena worked as part of a team that worked to implement an individual-based model (IBM), representing larval and juvenile salmon, into an existing Salish Sea plankton ecosystem ROMS model to simulate their migration and feeding behavior in the Strait of Georgia.
Select Presentation(s) / Publication(s):
Yang, Bo & R. Emerson, Steven & Angelica Peña, M. (2018). The effect of the 2013–2016 high temperature anomaly in the subarctic Northeast Pacific (the “Blob”) on net community production. Biogeosciences. 15. 6747-6759. 10.5194/bg-15-6747-2018.
Angelica Peña, M & Masson, Diane & Callendar, Wendy. (2016). Annual plankton dynamics in a coupled physical–biological model of the Strait of Georgia, British Columbia. Progress in Oceanography. 146. 58-74. 10.1016/j.pocean.2016.06.002.
Crawford, William & Angelica Peña, M. (2016). Decadal Trends in Oxygen Concentration in Subsurface Waters of the Northeast Pacific Ocean. Atmosphere-Ocean. 54. 1-22. 10.1080/07055900.2016.1158145.